Saturday, January 31, 2009

MYSORE PAK / BESAN BURFI

This recipe is my grandma ( paternal) signature dish. I learnt it from my mom. I miss appa ( FIl) whenever I make this. He used to say “ grand sweets (Shop name) mathri panneyeruka vidhya”. He will ask me more since he is a diabetic I won’t give him, but somehow he will get it done.
My brother’s wife is in family way, when I visited here I made this for her. She really liked it , and my relatives too. My kids call this as Diamond sweet.







Ingredients



Besan / Chickpea Flour – 1 cup
Sugar – 2 to 3 cups
Ghee – 1 ½ to 2 cup
Refined oil – 1 cup
Elachi powder – one generous pinch
(we can use ghee 3 cups or ghee 2 cups and oil 1 cup)
Method

In a heavy bottomed kadai combine sugar and water and make one string syrup. I have taken 2 ½ cup of sugar. If you touch the syrup between your hands it should form a string.
Add besan and mix nicely to avoid lumps. If some lumps are there no problem it will dissolve later.
If you are using oil add in this stage.Don't wory about the taste you cna't feel the oil. Stir continuously . Gradually add the rest of ghee.
Grease a plate with ghee , pour a drop of mixture in that and if you can roll as a ball, it is right stage. The picture shows the stage.



Pour the mixture in the greased plate, sprinkle sugar on top ( optional) and make pieces when it is warm.

I have made big pieces , it yield more that 35 pieces.







Mysore pak is taking part in 1. FIC yellow hosted by sunsinemom, JFI Chickpea by somtimesfoodie, Just for you by Sindi Rasoi.

29 comments:

Varsha Vipins

You r making me drool with your sweet dishes nw..awesome.!!:)

Pavithra Kodical

Besan burfi looks soft and yummy...Love to have a piece :)

The Fit.Me

Mysore pak surely looks great..and is one of my favourites too.. I'll try this out soon.. :0)

Just one question..is the refined oil optional..or I need to add it along with the ghee??

Unknown

looks perfect..have to try it..

vidhas

Thank you varsha, Pavithra, jayshree nad sowmya.

Raks

I am seeing ur post and u r commenting on mine...heheee
My son calls kaju kathli as diamond sweet!
Mysore pak looks perfect!

Srikitchen

looks very nice!

Unknown

wow mysore pak looks great looks so tempting

Anonymous

I posted these burfis few weeks back & I had no idea these were called Mysore paks too!! Yours look just perfect & smooth, not careless & uneven like mine.

Vaishali

This used to be a real favorite. It looks delicious, Vidhas.

Mahimaa's kitchen

perfect a iruke paaaka..i tried making low fat version.. but it was a disaster :) i also love grand sweets mysore paak. just melts in your mouth.. urs look soft too un like brick type mysore paks..

Preety

wow those are so perfectly cut..i love these but never prepared at home..will give this a try

Deepthi Shankar

mysore pak looks very nice

Jaishree Iyer

Mysore pak looks great looks so tempting...Love it!

suvi

OMG, mysore pak is my favourite! And I never realised it was this simple to make it. thanks for sharing. Missed a few of your earlier posts, the banana pancake looks delish too.

Anonymous

vidya i made this one and commenting.yesterday night just tried,came well.but i dont like to add refined oil.it came out well. thank u

vidhas

Thanks you all for the lovely commetns. Kindly let me know after trying.

Thanks jeyashri for the feed back, you can add ghee itself, my patti says if you add oil it gives you more softness.

Gita Jaishankar

That looks so tempting, can I have a piece of that Mysore pak please :)

Adlak's tiny world

so perfect shape vidhya... tates also good. i remembered the taste n texture of mysore pak on the day of diwali in your house.

vidhas

Thank you Gita, hema for the lovely comments.

Yasmeen

flawless burfis,sweeet:)
About what Orange zest,its the aromatic peel of orange which also has the essential oils.To zest an Orange,use a mini-grater or micro pane and grate just the orange part of the peel totally avoiding the white pith which is bitter.Orange zest adds the unique flavor when used in cookies ,bread or desserts.

vidhas

Thank you Yasmeen, thanks for the prompt reply too.

Purva Desai

Mysore pak looks rich and perfect.....

vidhas

Thank You purva .

Amirtha Views

Well, though I don't sweets, I liked Mysore pak that you prepared. Cooking is an art and one takes it from the Mom. Unga kai amma (MIL)va pola ve irrukku. Great going.I appreciate your flair for cooking and blogging the same. I like cooking but not blogging. Good job:)

vidhas

Thank you Amritha

Andhratreat

looks good

Anonymous

This looks lovely, Vidhya. I don't know how I had missed it when you sent it to FIC but see here I am now. I found your recipe on google:).

Harini

Unknown

Thank you soo much for your recipe...I made it 2 times and it was a hit!!My husband simply loves it!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Vidhas Kitchen   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP