We celebrate Karthigai in the month of Karthigai in full moon day when the karthigai star comes. Mostly it will be during November end or December first week. I miss my father in law so.. much when i make pori urandai. He likes to have it, even though he should not have sweets. I made Aval pori Urandai , Nel pori Urandai, Kadalai urandai and Appam.
Aval Pori Urndai and Nel pori Urandai
Pori / Rice puffs - 2 cups
Jaggary – 11/2 cup
Cardamon powder – 1 tsp
Finely chopped coconut – ½ cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Rice flour – 3 tbsp
1. In a heavy bottom pan add water and jaggery and make thick syrup.
2. If you pour a drop of syrup in water and roll it should roll as ball.
3. Remove from the flame and add elachi powder, ghee.
4. Slowly mix the pori and make balls out of it. Grease your hands with rice flour to make balls without sticking in your hands.
Kadali Urndai/ Peanut balls
Roasted peanuts(plain) – 2 cups
Jaggery – ½ cup
Ghee – 1 tsp
1. In a heavy bottom pan add water and jaggery, make a thick syrup.
2. If you pour a drop of syrup in water we should roll as a ball.
3. Add the peanuts, ghee and stir continuously.
4. When it becomes sticky remove from the flame and make balls.
My mom makes by soaking rice and grinding it. But mine is easy method.
Maida - 1 cup
Jaggery - 3/4 cup
Sooji/ rava - 1 tbsp
Cardoman powder - 1 tsp
Dry grapes - 50 gms
Oil for frying
1. Dissolve jaggery in one cup of water and drain it.
2. Combine all the ingredients and keep it aside for half an hour.
3. Heat oil in a pan and pour the batter using a spoon and deep fry it.
4. Squeeze the excess oil, by keeping the appam between two spatulas.