Wednesday, September 30, 2009

JANTIKALU OR MURUKU FOR ICC AND AWARDS

Murukku is everybody's all time favourite. I have tried mixtures and some other types of murrukku in home , but this thenkugal I am trying for the first time and it came out well. I prepared as per the recipe of Srivalli for ICC.








Ingredients Needed:




Raw Rice - 4 cups



Urad Dal - 1 cup


Water - app 1/2 cup or more



For Seasoning



Cumin seeds - 1 tsp


Sesame seeds- 1 tsp


Asafetida/ Hing - 1/2 tsp


Salt to taste


Butter - 75 gms




Method to prepare:



Wash and drain the rice. Shade dry the Rice for 1/2 hr.





Dry roast the Urad dal to light brown.


Allow it to cool.


If you are using more quantity, you can get it ground in rice mil, else use your mixie to grind both Rice and Urad dal.First grind rice into a fine flour, keep it aside. then grind the urad dal to fine powder.



In a wide vessel, take both the flours along with salt. Mix well. Add cumin, Sesame seeds to the flour, mix well.Whether you use Asafetida powder or the solid ones, you got to mix it in water, make sure it is dissolved before adding to the flour. If its not dissolved properly, when deep frying the muruku, there are chances for the hing to burst our due to air bubbles.Mix in the hing to the flour and finally add the butter. Gather everything well and you will get more of a crumbling mixture. Now slowly add water and knead a dough which is little more softer than the puri dough.



Heat a kadai with oil enough to deep fry. Once the oil is hot enough, simmer to low flame.Take the Muruku Aachu, wash and wipe it clean. Then divide the dough into equal balls.



Fill the Muruku maker with the dough. You can either press it directly over the flames or press over a paper and gently slide it down the hot oil. But since the quantity mentioned here is less, you can press it directly over the kadai



.Cook over medium flame, using a slotted spoon, turn it over to other side to ensure both sides turn golden colour. You will know by seeing the colour that its cooked. Remove to a kitchen paper and store it in a air tight container.






Lata Raja has passed me this honest scrap. Thank you Lata.I am so sorry for posting late.






My 10 honest scrap.

1. Love to move with lots of people and make friends.

2. Love to help others.

3. I am little short tempered but will cool down soon.

4. i don't keep anything in my mind , if i feel something is not correct I will tell them, but sometimes I feel it is not good.

5. Love to spend time in the kitchen and try different dishes.

6. Love to have a collection of sarees and salwars, and matching accessories.

7. Sewing is my hobby and now I have to start again.

8. My favourite hobby is to read books and watching reality shows.

9. Like to watch all kamal hassan movies. (Unnai pol oruvan is due

10. I am so attached with my parents, hubby and children. My kids are my world. ( Mostly all girls will be like this).




Sangi has passed me this award on her 100th post, Sorry sangi I have posted late. Thanks Sangi I am honoured.






17 comments:

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca

Congrats on your awards Vidhya....n nice crispy and yummy recipe

Padma

Murukku looks crispy and yummy and congrats on your awards :)

Shama Nagarajan

looks perfect.....please do participate in my first cooked food event...do check my blog for details

Priya Suresh

Crispy murukku looks great Vidhya, congrats on ur awards..

Uma

lovley snack. tooo tempting. Congrats on the awards :)

Raks

Looks good,has come out good!!

Jeyashris Kitchen

nice and perfect shaped murruku.my all tme fav.
nice to read more about u vidhya

chef and her kitchen

looks yummy..hope ur kids r having fun with them...congrats on the awards..

lata raja

Interesting scrap there. Yes all of us girls will be very attached to families. Your murukkus are delicious!!

vidhas

Thank you my dear friends for passing by and for the lovley comments.

Unknown

Congrats on your award & thenkuzal has come out very well.

Gita Jaishankar

Crispy murukkus Vidhas...congrats on all your awards dear :)

Sree vidya

lovely murukku
love your blog header pic
very beautiful

Shabs..

Hi,vidhya...
congrats on ur awards....dint see u for quite long tme....Im actually stuck with my little one who doesnt give me free time!!!So no much blog-hopping these days...How sad isnt it?.
Hope u r doing well....Hey, murukku is something i wanted to try long back....im coming to india on oct 16th and planning to get a bunch of stuffs including the murukku maker:)
And about ur doubt on ottil pollichathu, I dint ferment the batter....U can also try neeru dosa which i posted recently...its really good:)
Take care..
shabs

Sree vidya

I just gave you a bear hug.
Check this link.
http://www.vidyasrecipes.com/2009/10/giant-bear-hug.html

Recipeswap

Congrats on the award.Nice to know ur a Kamal fan,i like this movies too.yummy ,crispy murukku.

vidhas

Thank you all for the lovley comments.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Vidhas Kitchen   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP