Vatha kuzhambhu is my husband's favourite. This is time I prepared slightly different by replacing sambhar powder this mixture. It tasted yum.
Pearl onions - 10 to 12
tomato - 1
tamarind - small lemon size ball
salt to taste
Oil (gingelly oil)
curry leaves , red chili
To Roast and Grind
Coriander - 3 Tbsp
Channa dhall - 1tbsp
Red chili - 1 or 2
In a pan heat oil and roast all the ingredients and grind it to a fine paste.
In a kadai heat oil and pop up musturd seeds , add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and red chili , curry leaves.
Add the pearl onions , saute for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute. Add the tamarind extract and salt and give a boil.
Add the grounded paste and give a boil until the raw smell of tamarind goes .
This powder we can prepare and keep it for some days. I use this powder for brinjal curry, raw plantain curry etc.
Coarinder seeds - 1 cup
Red chilies – 8
Channa dhall - ¼ th cup
Curry leaves – 10 to 12
Hing powder - 1 tps
Oil – 1 tbsp
Heat oil in a pan and fry all the ingredients and grind it..
STUFFED BRINJAL CURRY
.Small brinjals – 400 gms
Curry powder - 1 cup (recipe given )
Oil and mustard seeds for seasoning.
1. Cut the brinjal half from both the sides. If you are cutting horizontally from one side cur vertically from other side.
2. Stuff the curry powder in to both the sides
.3. Heat oil in a pan(liberally) and season with mustard seeds.
4. Add stuffed brinjal and cook in Sim fame with lid closed.
5. After the brinjals are cooked you can remove the lid and allow it to fry.
Mouthwatering brinjals are ready
If you want to use less oil you can steam the stuffed brinjals in a pressure cooker or you can microwave it.
Okhra - 500 gms
Curry Powder - 1 cup
oil, musturd seeds and urad dhall
1. Cut the Okhras in to long pieces and split it from one side.
2. Stuff the curry powder inside .
3. Heat oil in a kadai and pop up musturd seeds and urad dhall and add the stuffed Okrasand saute. Keep the flame in sim and close and cook, until the okras are crisp.
Goes well with sambhar rice or rasam rice.
Priyadharshini of Priya's feast has created this award for particpating in her Diwali 2009 contest. Thank you Priya.