Monday, January 5, 2009

BEETROOT CURRY AND BEETROOT KEERAI

I usually make beetroot curry. This time when my sil Vibaas came for vaccation, she told me about the leafy beets and she had made keerai out of that. I searched here in Chennai and I got it, I made keerai and it tasted so.. good. My kids loved it. I made some moderation in the basic recipe. You can go through my sil's recipe here.


Ingredients

Beetroot - 3 - 4
chili powder - 1/2 tsp
salt to taste
oil, musturd seeds for tempering.
coconut - 1/4 cup ( Optional)




Method



1. Chop the beetroots and microwave them
2. Heat oil in a pan and pop up the musturd seeds.
3. Add the beetroot and add chili powder and salt.
4. When the raw smell has gone add the grated coconut.


Beetroot keerai

Ingredients

Beetroot leaf - 3 - 4
moongdhall - 1/2 cup
salt to taste
oi, musturd seeds and cummin seeds for tempering

For Grinding
coconut - 1 tbsp
red chili- 1
cummin seeds - 1/2 tsp
hing one generous pinch


Method

1. Combine kerrai and moongdhall and pressure cook them.
2. Grind the things which has mentioned to a smooth paste.
3. Add the grinded mixture to the keerai and give a boil.
4. Separately pop up musturd seeds and jeera and add to keerai.



Since the recipes are rich in iron I am sending this to Eat healthy during pregnancy hosted by Sangeeth.

25 comments:

Vibaas

Vidhya, glad y'all liked beet greens :)

Congrats on featuring in Rendezvous with KF. WTG!

Anonymous

Wooo this is a great beetroot recipe. I am not familiar with many beetroot recipes.
Thanks for sharing.

Sanghi

The second one, beet greens is really new. Will try out!

vidhas

Thank you Vidya and Soma.

Mahimaa's kitchen

beetroot keerai kelvi pattadhe ilai.. very new to me. healthy recipe. looks nice.

Cham

I love Green beet... Delicious curries....

Anonymous

that keerai beet combination should be a hit here..looks so tempting..and iron full..thanks

Varsha Vipins

Love ths beetroot thoran n I am soon to come with a recipe..:)

anudivya

Nice and healthy. You should definitely send it to Sangeeth's pregnancy event. I am sure a lot of moms-to-be will benefit from this.

Pavani

healthy and colurful dish yaar..

Anonymous

I thought beetroots are only for salads and sandwiches,but after looking around in blogs i am exploring so many recipes of beetroot....thnks for sharing different ways to incorporate this healthy root in regular diet !

vidhas

Thank you everybody for the lovely comments.

Unknown

nice color and helthy recipe too

Priya Suresh

Healthy dishes...unfortunately am not able to get the beet greens..great dishes..

Shama Nagarajan

lovely dishes..i love any thing with beet and keerai

Srikitchen

looks very new to me!

Pavithra Kodical

Healthy recipe...I like your blog as most of your recipe are simple yet delicious.

Yasmeen

Beets are one of the best veggies,not many know about using the beet greens,thanks for reminding us:)

Vanamala Hebbar

Nice recipe..

Gita Jaishankar

Both are very healthy dishes. The beetroot keerai is very new to me. I should try this one soon :)

Sanghi

U have a great blog.. rocking!
Do check my new blog at http://www.sanghi-worldfoodtreat.blogspot.com and leave ur comments.

Jeyashris Kitchen

i was searching for beetroot with leaves. really it must a very healthy one.we all love beet root curry.

vidhas

Thank you all for your lovely comments

Jeyashris Kitchen

vidya while going thro ur corn toast recipe today i just thought u can send it to the event which is now going on in RAKS Kitchen's blog. Please check it out whether it is apt for that

Sharmi

I liked your cauli paruppu usili. very new and nice one!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Vidhas Kitchen   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP