Wednesday, February 18, 2009

MASALA DOSA WITH TOMATO CHUTNEY

Masala dosa is my husband’s favourite. I made it on Valentine's day for breakfast. My gift to him :-) . My hobby is to watch cookery shows and I saw in one show , she smeared chutney on the dosa. I tried , it came out so well. I served with tomato chutney and garlic flavoured coconut chutney. Everybody loved it. I took the photo in a hurry, it was not so impressive, kindly bear with that.



Tomato Chutney

Ingredients

Onion – 1
Tomato – 1
Garlic - 6 to 7 pods
Red chili – 2
Salt to taste
Tamarind – a small piece
Oi, mustard seeds, urad dhall for tempering

Method

Mix tamarind the required salt together and keep it aside for 2 to 3 minutes , so that it will become soft and blend easily.
Combine the onion, tomato, red chili, tamarind and grind to a smooth paste.
Heat oil in a pan pop up mustard seeds , urad dhall and add the mixture and saute until the raw smell goes. Chutney is ready






Potato Masala


Ingredients

Potato – 4
Onion – 1
Green chili – 2 or 3
Salt to taste
Turmeric – one pinch
Oil, mustard seeds, urad dhall

Method

Heat oil in a pan pop up mustard seeds, curry leaves . Add chopped onion, turmeric powder, green chili. Saute it.
Add mashed potatoes , salt and sprinkle little water. Cook until it blends nicely.

Masala dosa


Ingredients


Dosa batter


Tomato Chutney


Potato masala


oil


Method



Heat a tawa and make dosa and turn it and cook both the sides. Smear the chutney all over nicely. ( This is kid’s version so it has less.)


Spread the masala and roll it and serve.


Garlic coconut chutney



Grated coconut – ½ cup
Red chili – 1
Garlic - 1 0r 2
Fried gram dhall – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil, mustard seeds, urad dhall , curry leaves for tempering


Method


Combine coconut, red chili, garlic pods, salt , fried gram dhall and grind to paste adding water.
Temper with oil, mustard seeds , urad dhall and curry leaves.
Since , it is perfect combination , this is going to participate in Made for each other hosted by Asvadha.
Since , I made it for my hubby dear , It is going to participate in just for you hosted by Alka. so happy she has extended the date.
This entry goes to Cooking for kids - potato hosted by Deepa started by Sharmi.

Sangi has passed me this Lemonade Award, thank you so much Sangi , I am honoured.



32 comments:

FH

Don't tempt me to make dosas now girl, I am drooling here!
Mysore Masala dosa has always red hot chutney smeared inside, it's so delicious to eat. Your tomato chutney is a great idea too, looks so good! :)

Madhu's cooking gallery

Wow!! Looks super yum! that too with 2 chutney varieties.. :) like the hotel tiffin right! Love this one! Masal looks perfect!

Preety

we use to have this in one of the south Indian restaurant..i love it..but never dared to try at home:)

Recipeswap

Yummy crispy dosa....

Ashwini

Wow love Masala dosa..It is my all time fav..We do garlic chutney for this..Tomato chutney looks delish...my mouth is watering...

Cham

Who says no the lovely masala dosa. Tasty one!

Varsha Vipins

Always always droolable..yumm..Now a days,I try so may varieties at Udupi here..they add chutney powder n all inside the masala..:)

AnuSriram

Hmmm... dosa looks tempting! Spreading chutney over dosa while making it is new to me.. will follow this version next time..

Anonymous

Masala Dosa is one of my fav tiffins. You are making me hungry.

Trupti

Wow Vidhas masala dosa looks very delicious..one of my fav. Congrats on award.

Mahimaa's kitchen

yummy yummmy.... i am hungry now.

Jeyashris Kitchen

wow i love masala dosai.Yours looks tempting.smearing tomato chutney is really new to me.Will give a try.

Unknown

mm..After seeing your masala dosa, iam hungry now..you tried it with different combination of chutneys..what did ur hubby gave u?, after eating this on valentines day..

Raks

Making me hungry!! I could imagine how tasty this could be,if I can make this with ghee!!

Vaidehi Bhave

My favorite breakfast item.. love to eat Dosa with sambar chutney and masala..

chakali

Poonam

love these dosas..my alltime fav!!!

sriharivatsan

Ohhh, Sama combi..Feeling hungry now..Wish i could have been near your place when u prepared this..Simply Superb..

Sunshinemom

I make this way too using mint or red chutney. Tastes great, and if I have someone preparing it for me tastes even better:) Very tasty dish, Vidhas!

Anonymous

Oops..drooling...my all time fav.

Adlak's tiny world

this is my altime favrt.this monday only i prepared. but not taken photo in a hurry.

something is waiting for u come and pick up dear.

Priya Suresh

send me some..my fav breakfast:)

vidhas

Thank you blogger friends for stopping by and for the lovely comments.

vidhas

Thank you all for the lovely comments. Srividhya you can come any time to have.

Jaishree Iyer

Wow Vidhas masala dosa looks very delicious..Thank you for your lovely award..Feel happy & honoured.sorry for collecting it late dear.

Vanamala Hebbar

Authentic and delicious bfast ...lovely

Sanghi

mmm.. its lunch time for me, but i dont mind to have those two dosas now..! so tempting dear..:)

vidhas

Thanks you Jaishree, Vanamala and Sangi

Deepa Hari

Masala dosa looks delicious with the chutneys...ideal breakfast...wanna try it...Thank you Vidhya.

Rumela

My choice used to be plain dosa. But few restaurants make the best ever masala dosa with potato n dried peas curry. I used to make someone from the family to order that so that I can have a taste of it.thank you for shearing your post.





Masala dosa

Unknown

I tried your recipe for tomato chutney. My kids and I loved it. It made my masala dosa taste even better. Thanks for posting... :)

Unknown

Keep sharing... Love your recipes... :) <3

Unknown

Love your recipes... :) Keep posting... :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs

Vidhas Kitchen   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP