Happy to be the part of BM # 13, second day. This rasam is a traditional one , I follow the recipe in the book written by Mrs. Vedavalli Rangachari. I make once in 15 days, everyone love this.
Cooked Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Tomato - 1 big
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder one pinch
Ghee, mustard seeds, cumin seeds for tempering
Coriander leaves for garnishing
To Roast and Grind
Urad dal - 1tsp
Pepper corns - 1/2 tsp
Channa dal 1/2 tsp
Red chili - 1
Hing - one small pinch
oil for roasting
- Take the ingredients given for dry roasting.
- Add little oil in a pan and dry roast the ingredients.
- Add cumin seeds to the roasted ingredients and ground to a paste.
- In a pan take cooked toor dal , add one cup of water to that.Add turmeric also.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Tomatoes will be cooked and blend with the dal.
- Add the grounded paste at this stage , add salt too.
- After adding the paste don't boil the rasam too much, when the froth appears switch off the gas, and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Heat ghee in a big spoon or iron spoon throw some mustard seeds and cumin seeds and add to the rasam.
- You can have this like a soup also.
- You can add a pod of garlic also while roasting .
- Add Lemon juice if you want more tangy taste.
Check out the participants in BM # 13.